Mary Jo is in her second term as State Representative for the 148th legislative district. This term she serves on five standing committees: Appropriations, Aging and Older Adult Services, Finance, Health and State Government. She is in her second term on the Local Government Commission. She has actively fought for equitable funding for education, as well as funding for Pre-K, community colleges and higher education. Mary Jo is an advocate for people with disabilities and increased funding for human services. Her legislative interests focus on making voting more accessible, strongly supporting the PA Agenda for Women’s Health and protecting workers’ rights.
Mary Jo has thoroughly enjoyed getting to know the people and places as well as the businesses and organizations throughout her district and can often be seen at community events, restaurants and coffee shops. Mary Jo is running for her third term as State Representative for HD148.
Mary Jo has a long-term interest in seeing more women elected officials. She is a founding member and co-chair of Emerge Pennsylvania, a new organization established in Pennsylvania in 2015 to recruit, train and mentor women to run for public office. For more than 20 years Mary Jo has spent a vast amount of energy supporting women who have run for office to ensure that women have a seat at the table and a vote on decisions that affect women.
Mary Jo has a longstanding commitment to serve her community. A member of Narberth Borough Council for 20 years, ten as President, she learned the basics of governing firsthand. Mary Jo played an active role in the downtown revitalization, expansion of the recycling program, opened up participation in appointments to boards and commissions, and actively supported local institutions such as the Narberth Fire Company and Narberth Library.
Mary Jo’s public service is wide and deep. Mary Jo contributed to the Montgomery County Planning Commission and the Executive and Voter Services Transition Teams of the Shapiro Richards team. Her familiarity with the workings of local government, being a part of team, and accomplishing goals all set her apart.
As a community volunteer for most of her life, Mary Jo has been active in many organizations including the Lower Merion Historical Society. She served on the Board of Trustees of New Horizons Senior Center. She is also a founding member of the Narberth Democratic Club and Narberth Area Garden Club, and an active volunteer, be it helping with the Fourth of July Book Sale or Garden Tour Guide to benefit the library. In each of these capacities, Mary Jo has consistently demonstrated her longstanding commitment to her community, as a public servant, as well as a volunteer.
Mary Jo is formally educated in the workings of government, having earned a Masters degree in Government Administration from the Fels Institute at the University of Pennsylvania. She graduated Cum Laude with a B.B.A. from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania and with an Associates degree from Gwynedd Mercy College (now University).
Prior to being a State Representative, Mary Jo worked at the University of Pennsylvania for twenty years and at Hahnemann University for twelve years. As a departmental finance officer at Penn, she was directly responsible for balancing a multi-million dollar annual budgets that supported some of the world’s most important and groundbreaking research.
- President, Narberth Borough Council, 2002-2011, Member since 1992
- Co-Chair, Lower Merion/Narberth Democratic Committee, 2006-2010
- Member, Democratic State Committee, 2006-present
- Montgomery County Planning Commission, Appointed July 2012
- Montgomery County Executive Transition Team, 2012
- Montgomery County Administrative Services Transition Team (Voter Services), 2012
- Montgomery County Lands Trust Green Future Awards Committee, 2009-2011
- Member, Montgomery County Commission on Women and Families, 1999-2003
- Candidate for State Representative in 148th Legislative District, 1998
- Elected to Board of Trustees of New Horizons Senior Center in 2012-2015, Chair of Sustainability Committee
- Founding Member, Narberth Democratic Club
- Founding Member, Narberth Area Garden Club
- Member, Narberth Civic Association
- Member, Lower Merion Historical Society
- Member, Lower Merion Conservancy
- Fels Center of Government, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 2000 – M.P.A.
- The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 1987 – B.B.A., Cum Laude
- Gwynedd Mercy College, Gwynedd Valley, PA, 1969 – A.S.
University of Pennyslvania, Philadelphia PA.
- 2004-2012: Financial and Administrative Officer, Biomedical Research Service Center.
- 1996-2003: Manager, Administration and Finance, Center for Research on Reproduction and Womens Health.
- 1992-1996: Financial and Research Administrator, Department of Dermatology.”